[R-sig-Geo] randtest.enfa {adehabitat} -- erratum in calculating the tolerance

Mathieu Basille basille at ase-research.org
Mon Jun 14 21:44:52 CEST 2010

Consuelo,

> Again, about the tolerance, using the code you told me:
>
> pc3 <- dudi.pca(kasc2df(map)$tab, scan=FALSE)
> sum(dudi.pca(pc3$tab, scale=FALSE, row.w =
> dataenfa1$pr/sum(dataenfa1$pr), scan=FALSE)$eig)
>
> I got* 3.129783*, is this correct?

Yes it is. You can double check it with niche.test:

bla <- niche.test(map, lynxjura$locs[tmp, c("X", "Y")])
bla$obs
0.1450481 3.1297832

The first value is the marginality (same as in enfa1), the second one is
the tolerance.

> But I don't understand, shouldn't tolerance have a value ranging from 0
> to 1? I thougth that was the idea, since specialization varies from 1 to
> infinite, right? [i.e. Reutter et al 2003***]

Not necessarily. But I guess you will find different definitions of
(global) tolerance and (global) specialization according to different
sources.

In any cases, I would not recommend the use of a *global*
tolerance/specialization index, unless it is used to compare:

- two species in the same study area
- the same species in two periods, given that the environment does not
change.

> In the other hand, I have estimated the global specializations using
> Hirzel et al (2002) formula,  like this:
>
> S <- (sqrt(sum(enfa1$s)))/1.96
>
> Does it seem correct?

According to Hirzel et al. (2002)'s definition, it should be divided by
the number of specialization axes. It is just the mean eigenvalue of
specialization, which can be seen as a way to define a global
specialization. Now, as I said before, it is difficult to use it as is.

> I got this value S = 0.996322 (<1 though), and then, my tolerance (1/S)
> was 1.003692 (>1).
>
> It bothers me that we don't have the same values! grrr

My guess: the S = 1/T relation only hold on one dimension, but not in
the N-dimensions ecological space. Could be wrong, though. Anyway,
Hirzel et al. (2002)'s definition of specialization cannot not be used
in this context.

> What do you think?
>
> About my other question about the scatter plot of enfa, the scores and
> so on... I think I haven't been able to explain myself... I have
> uploaded a picture http://img808.imageshack.us/i/scatter.jpg/. I hope
> you can see what I mean there.

Now I see. The d=1 that you have in the upper-right corner just holds
for the projection of pixels (simplified with the use of MCPs). Try the
following:

 > scatter(enfa1, pts = TRUE)
 > summary(enfa1$li)

which should help. The arrows are just proportional to their real
values, in order to adequately fit in the graph.

Regards,
Mathieu.

--

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, Post-Doc

~$ locate
Laboratoire d'Écologie Comportementale et de Conservation de la Faune
+ Centre d'Étude de la Forêt
Département de Biologie
Université Laval, Québec

~$ info
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
``If you can't win by reason, go for volume.''
Calvin, by Bill Watterson.