[R-sig-Geo] read function for LAS data

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 02:41:31 CEST 2010

Thanks Howard, do you know of people working with LAS data in R, or
any efforts to link to liblas? I'd be keen to get involved eventually,
but it's not an area I have particular strengths. I've noticed the "R"
data format driver in GDAL (for reading/writing simple arrays in R's
save() format), so there must be some in that community using R in a
fairly intimate way.

BTW, I don't want this example to be seen as some kind of snub to the
efforts of projects like liblas, I'm really interested in the fact
that it *can* be done - not necessarily pushing that it should be
done. The impetus here was really my interest in alternative methods,
not just avoiding dependencies.

Tools like this can be helpful for basic data rescue when a full
solution is not at hand. There are endless varieties of raw binary
formats out there and very few have a commited team like liblas or
GDAL working to help.

Cheers, Mike.