[R-sig-Geo] read function for LAS data

Etienne Bellemare Racine etiennebr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:09:08 CEST 2010

This is interesting, I'll try your code on my lidar files in the next
few days.

  2010-06-04 22:36, Michael Sumner wrote :
> Thanks Alex, I will eventually post this to a broader audience.
>
> I've used liblas and lastools, but the aim here is for a pure R
> implementation that is built directly from the LAS specification
> without 3rd party tools.

What might be of interest in using liblas is that it provides support
for many las versions and they plan to provide support for some versions
to come (conditional to funding) so having an R binding might be of
interest here. They are also working on the integration of a spatial
index which would allow easier handling of large files. I must say I
don't know how hard writing a wrapper for R might be for that particular
tool.

To other issue I see here is that R is loading the whole file in memory,
so if you can manage small files, that might not be that easy with
(standard) larger ones. Don't you think ? Did you give a try to the R
SAGA package. There is a module for loading las files but again, I don't
know how it manages memory. I guess that it could be possible to use
some sort of ff package to handle bigger files, but that's just on the
top of my head.

Etienne