[R-sig-Geo] Help: Merging several geotiff files

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Jul 29 08:14:18 CEST 2010

My favorite (fastest, easiest to program, most reliable) software to
mosaic large number of geotifs are:

1. FWTools
[http://www.gdal.org/gdal_merge.html]

2. SAGA GIS
[http://www.saga-gis.org/saga_modules_doc/grid_tools/grid_tools_03.html]

Here are some examples of how to reproject, then merge large amount of
files into a single map using the above listed tools (this script
requires 4GB RAM to run):

[http://spatial-analyst.net/scripts/getGLCF.R]

Why don't you compare each of the tree options (raster, FWTools, SAGA)
and then report to this community which one you prefer (following some
objective indicators of course)?

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/