[R-sig-Geo] Using multicore processors with gstat

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Jul 21 08:23:05 CEST 2010

On 07/21/2010 05:27 AM, Pierre Roudier wrote:
> Dear geostatisticans,
>
> I'm going to deal with pretty big datasets in one of my projects (1G
> pixels +), and I'd like to keep using gstat for the geostatistics.
>
> Do someone know if the gstat package supports parralelisation of
> functions like cariogram() and fit.variogram() on multicore
> processors?

there is none provided by the package itself. there is some optimization
behind variogram() for gridded data, as opposed to irregular points. For
data sizes this large, I'd start thinking about how to work with samples
of the data, rather than the full data, for computing variograms.

I can't see why fit.variogram would make sense to parrallelize.