[R-sig-Geo] scale semivariance befor fit.variogram

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Jul 19 23:59:30 CEST 2010

The problem is not gstat using floats (it doesn't), it's roughly using
the normal equations to solve a regression problem -- this calls for a
sum of squared values matrix X'X, if the values then are too far apart,
as it seems in your case, even double arithmetic runs into an explosion
of numeric errors.