[R-sig-Geo] decimal places of coordinates get lost - readGDAL

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jul 19 13:55:07 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Tim.Haering at lwf.bayern.de wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I want to import a raster into R using the readGDAL() function.
> Unfortunately the coordinates of my raster have decimal places. After
> importing the file the decimal places get lost. It seems the GDAL rounds
> the coordinates. Is it possible to read the decimal places?

Try setting a different value for options("digits") to be used by the
print() method you are calling invisibly. Showing a floating point number
must involve arbitrary rounding, and if you haven't specified a different
number of digits, you get the default:

x <- 4344198.9375000019
print(x)
print(x, digits=16)
print(x, digits=20)

Notice that your example number cannot be represented in double precision,
as after 4344198.93750001 there is no precision left, and any operations
(such as multiplication) will erode it anyway. In any case, you are
probably dealing with a missing part of the size of 0.0000019 mm, which
might just be more precise than the measurements were.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger