[R-sig-Geo] rgdal package installation error

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 13:23:19 CEST 2010

A late reply but I still give it since it might be of interest to
people searching the archive:
you should install not only libgdal, but also the package libgdal1-dev
(this holds true whenever you need to compile against a library in
debian/ubuntu: also install the associated -dev package).
so: sudo apt-get install libgdal1-dev
That package contains the headers for building gdal and contains the
unversioned (or partly unversioned) libgdal.so.1 which you need to
build rgdal.

In fact, if I understand it correctly, you might now have actually
built gdal using the headers of the 1.7.2 version and linked against
the 1.4.0 version - which may lead to errors at one or another point.

Johan
PS: In case you are looking for a more recent version of gdal, you
could add the stable or unstable ppa repositories of ubuntugis:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis