[R-sig-Geo] spautolm

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jul 13 16:33:36 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> spautolm gives me the following warning (from Matrix):
>
>> sres1=spautolm(formula = <omitted>, listw=colw, family = "SAR", method
> = "Matrix")
> Warning message:
> In determinant(x, TRUE) : This version of the Matrix package returns
> |determinant(L)| instead of determinant(A), i.e., a
> *DIFFERENT* value.
> If still necessary, do change your code, following
> http://matrix.r-forge.r-project.org
>
> Is this something I should worry about?

No, if you check with a different sparse method, say "LU" or "spam",
you'll get the same result as with "Matrix". The log determinant code was
changed before the change was made in Matrix, conditioning on the version
of Matrix being used, at and following line 269 in:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/R/jacobian.R?annotate=282&root=spdep

The warning is still issued once per session by Matrix in case some
developer hasn't noticed.

Hope this helps,

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no