[R-sig-Geo] Distance to (nearest) polygon

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Wed Jan 27 10:17:12 CET 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:27:23 +0100 (CET) Roger Bivand
<Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

>> For example, I need the distance between points at sea to the nearest
>> land area (as defined by for example the 'world' dataset).
>
> There are methods for point to line segment distances in spatstat.
> Further, for projected (planar) coordinates, this could be added to
> R-Forge rgeos; for geographical coordinates Boost ggl would be needed.

Thanks. The 'nncross' function in 'spatstat' does essentially do what I
need. Unfortunately, I work with geographical coordinates (spanning
about 15 degrees of latitude), so the results are not perfect (using
plain long/lat coordinates), but they will probably be an adequate
approximation.

BTW, for my application, I'm not interested in the distance per se, only
in the points (e.g., boats) within a certain distance from the polygon
(land). So I have also thought about a possible solution of using an
expanded polygon, expanded in a certain number of kilometers outwards,
and then using point-in-polygon (i.e., 'overlay') to find the points
that are inside this new polygon. But I couldn't find a function to
'grow' a polygon in this way.

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer