[R-sig-Geo] Merging shape files?

Zia Ahmed zua3 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 20 00:59:53 CET 2010

Hi:
I like use R for data mining, organization, manipulation and mapping of
SSURO data of USA. I have already done first two; I need help for
mapping these data.in R   It will be appreciated if someone helps me to
solve following three issues:

*1.       How do I merge several  shape files?*
I like to merge several shape files to create a single shape file. All
files are same structure but different names and in different folders.
Below I mentioned how all shape files are organized in different folder.
I want to write a function that I can use to merge the shape files.

*File organization:*
.../State_name/soil_ia001/spatial/file_name01.shp
.../State_name/soil_ia003/spatial/file_name03.shp
.../State_name/soil_ia005/spatial/file_name05.shp
.
. .../State_name/soil_ia21/spatial/file_name21.shp

*DBF file associated   all shape files look like below: *

ID            AREASYMBOL    SPATIALVER       MUSYM               MUKEY
1              IA001                    2
822D2                    402210
2              IA001                     2
24C2                      402161
3              IA001                     2
93D2                      402217
4              IA001                     2
W                           1857266
5              IA001                     2
W                           1857266
6              IA001                     2
370C                      402177
7              IA001                     2
570B                      402190
                -------
 *
2.       My second question is: I like to join a table with this above
mentioned shape   using a conmen ID like MUKEY.  How do I do this?*
*3.       My third question is: how do I convert this shape file to a
grid (as a TIFF format or others? ) that I open some other software?*

Thanks
Zia