[R-sig-Geo] Plotting shapefiles on top of Google map tiles

Roland Kaiser roland.kaiser at sbg.ac.at
Mon Jan 18 13:49:37 CET 2010

Hi Patrik,

like Tom suggested you may also want to download google maps tiles
directly, mosaic them and warp to your desired projection.

Tom's code getStaticGoogleMaps.R is a great thing!
However, I can't run it on Mac OSX, because I failed to
compile SAGA GIS. Instead developed code that calls GDAL programs.

If you work on Mac OSX or another UNIX system
you may try the script temporally here:

http://www.users.sbg.ac.at/~9722152/fetchGE/fetchGE.zip

Documentation is in file FetchGE.R
You need to install GDAL, python and wget, as well as library(rgdal).

Best wishes,

Roland