[R-sig-Geo] MGRS conversion

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 8 20:12:44 CET 2010

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Dan Putler wrote:

> Hi Nils,
>
> Likely via the spTransform function in the rgdal package.

But I believe a user-written wrapper would be needed to translate MGRS
first to +proj=utm with zone number, or Universal Polar Stereographic near
Poles, 100km square IDs, etc. Scanning the PROJ.4 list suggests that
nobody has done this. In addition, the real authorities have left little
doubt that MGRS is a very bad idea if used outside its originating context
(easy errors, UTM zone transition problems, etc) - see the PROJ.4 list
archives for May 2006 for a taste:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2006-May/002216.html

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2006-May/002235.html

So that's why it isn't there, with the motivation. Thw wikipedia page
gives enough details for a simple hack in some places, but if you can
source the data in a "real" coordinate reference system, you would be
on a much sounder footing.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no