[R-sig-Geo] Datum/CRS for the worldHires map data

Karl Ove Hufthammer karl at huftis.org
Fri Jan 8 11:40:57 CET 2010

Dear list users

I frequently use, and rather like, the worldHires map in 'mapdata'. The
resolution is quite good (compared to the 'world' map).

However, by overlaying some data on a worldHires map (at around long =
25.7 and lat = 70.9) I discovered that the map was quite inaccurate. The
actual shape of the shorelines are quite good, but they are displaced
(compare the maps with the maps in Google Earth and the shoreline data
at http://rimmer.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/coast/getcoast.html).

The reason is obviously that the worldHires map is not in the WGS 84
datum (which is reasonable, considering the age of the data). But which
datum is it in? I could find no information on this in the helpfile, or
on the referenced Web page? Does anybody on this list know, and perhaps
have a ready-made CRS strings I can use to project it?

Also, does there exist any other R map packages with maps of this
resolution (plain shoreline data without any additional metadata would
be OK), preferably with the maps actually included in the package, and
not downloading them from the Internet on demand?

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer