[R-sig-Geo] One-to-many table relationship to shapefile polygon in spplot / plot - possible?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jan 6 10:07:51 CET 2010

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Noli Sicad wrote:

>> Review ?reshape to convert to wide format before trying to merge into
>> your object for using spplot().
>>
>> Roger
>
> OK. The answer is not possible.
>
> I have been studying reshape - cast and melt.  The illustration submit
> in my earlier post, can be easily done. But here is the real data
> (below) is bit harder.

If you start with reshape in the stats package, not the reshape package,
it may be easier. Using reshape is always hard, but the wide format is
what you need. There is no provision for one-to-many for spatial features.

> I have more problem deleting shapefile polygons that doesn't have data
> in dbf.  I am just learning to use R in the last weeks. I have to find
> some example script how to do polygon delete. I am reading sp package.
> Searching in the archives of various list.

You delete spatial features from a Spatial* or Spatial*DataFrame object in
the usual way with the "[" operator. Just treat them as data.frame objects
as a first approximation.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no