[R-sig-Geo] color category SpatialGridDataFrame and rworldmap

Andy South (Cefas) andy.south at cefas.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 13:04:09 CET 2010

Dear Patrick & Renaud,

Categorical maps are one of the issues we have looked at in a new
package 'rworldmap' that we've been developing. Coincidentally I
submitted the first version to Cran for consideration yesterday.

The package and source can currently be downloaded from :
http://code.google.com/p/rworld/downloads/list

With a SpatialGridDataFrame containing categorical data, default
plotting should be as easy as :

library(rworldmap)
mapGriddedData(sGDF, catMethod='categorical')

#colours can be changed by e.g.
mapGriddedData(sGDF, catMethod='categorical',
colourPalette=c('red','white','blue'))
#or
mapGriddedData(sGDF, catMethod='categorical',
colourPalette=c("#E5F5E0","#A1D99B","#31A354"))

A default legend is added and there are options for modifying it.

The package concentrates on displaying global data, either gridded or
referenced by country.

I'll be interested to hear any feedback that you or others have,

This builds particularly on the packages sp, maptools and fields, so
thanks go out to all those that have contributed to those packages.

Happy new year,
Andy

Dr Andy South
Leader Spatial Information, Fisheries
Cefas, Pakefield Road, Lowestoft , Suffolk, NR33 0HT, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1502 524213
Fax: +44 (0)1502 513865

www.cefas.co.uk

Message: 1