[R-sig-Geo] Polygon splitting at the edges of plot

ElenaC E.Couce.07 at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Feb 28 16:14:35 CET 2010

Dear all,

I'm working with a shapefile with information of different ecoregions that
I'm able to read into R as a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame object, and convert to
geographical coordinates (using spTransform). But when I try to plot it, I
find that several polygons cross the 180º meridian, and I get horizontal
lines across the plot joining the two halves of these polygons. Is there a
simple way of removing these horizontal lines from the plot?

I have searched on the internet and found the function nowrapRecenter which
might be able to fix it, but I haven't managed to get it to do what I want.
(I dont want to change the center of the plot to a Pacific view, and I find
that even if I do it, I still get horizontal lines from other polygons that
cross the 360º meridian).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Elena