[R-sig-Geo] GPL polygon clipping (was: clipping polygons, overlaying big polygon on polygons)

Bjarke Christensen Bjarke.Christensen at sydbank.dk
Wed Feb 24 11:13:42 CET 2010

I would be happy to write a polygon clipping algorithm. I am not much of a
GIS expert, though, so I would need some hand holding - particularly for
the design requirements and definitions.

* what functions are needed?
* what should their inputs be?
* what should the output be?

For a polygon clipping function, I assume that the inputs are two polygons,
A and B, and the output is a polygon C = A - (A intersect (Not B)). Am I
right? Does anyone know of an article or comme-il-faut way to do this?

Presumably, polygon clipping would depend on a more general polygon
intersection function, if this does not already exist?

Bjarke Christensen

Message: 21