[R-sig-Geo] Bayesian Block Kriging?

csoykan at mail.sdsu.edu csoykan at mail.sdsu.edu
Fri Feb 19 06:15:04 CET 2010

Hello,
    I'm interested in doing Bayesian kriging using R.  I see that the package geoR has a function that will allow one to do this (krige.bayes).  However, my data are not in the form of points, but rather they are blocks that represent spatial averages (i.e., the number of fishing hooks per month in a given lat x long square).  I am therefore interested in treating the data as spatial blocks, rather than points.  I see that package gstat has a function that will allow one to
do block kriging (krige).  However, I cannot find a function that will allow me to do both, Bayesian and block kriging at the same time.  My questions are:

1) Can the function "krige.bayes" be made to accommodate data in areal form (rather than point data)? or
2) Does the function "krige" allow for Bayesian inference (i.e., priors, posteriors)? or
3) Is there another package that can do both? or
4) Is there a method for combining functions to do what I would like to do?

A response to any and/or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Candan Soykan
csoykan at mail.sdsu.edu