[R-sig-Geo] Rpy with ArcMap or Spatial Data

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 18 08:01:17 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, Alexander Brenning wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is an ArcGIS toolbox written by Mark Janikas from ESRI that links
> ArcGIS/ArcMap/ArcCatalog with R through Python. This is more like a
> proof-of-principle, it allows to access a point clustering method from R from
> within ArcGIS. Don't ask me for the details, but at least one of the two
> alternative approaches used is based on RPy.
>
> http://resources.esri.com/geoprocessing/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&
> scriptId=16444
>
> On the other hand, the RPyGeo package for R uses Python (but not RPy!) to
> call ArcGIS tools from within R. Sort of a basic ArcGIS front-end in R, but
> it suffers from the long latency time of ArcGIS.

I have posted references to MGET before:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/GeoEco/0.6

but for me http://code.env.duke.edu/projects/mget/ is not responding now.
There was plenty of code there, but I think using DCOM through Python
rather than Rpy (or better Rpy2). Carson Farmer's Qgis plugin manageR does
run through Rpy2, and so is a cross-platform interface. Using DCOM for
ArcGIS does make some sense, as ArcGIS is most frequently found on
platforms running DCOM.

Roger