[R-sig-Geo] Calculate location given observation distance and angle from transect line

Corrie Curtice cc157 at duke.edu
Wed Feb 17 17:00:06 CET 2010

Hello,

I've turned up little in searching for a package that already has this
function.  Dspat is close but I don't think it does quite what I want.

I have observation data gathered from a ship transect doing a zig-zag
pattern.  I have the current location of the ship, the ship's bearing,
the angle from the transect to the sighting, and the observed distance
to the sighting (and the height of the observer above water).  Is
there already a package/function in R that will "easily" convert this
information to the lat/lon of the observed animal?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Corrie

---
Corrie Curtice
Research Associate
Marine Geospatial Ecology Lab
Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University
http://mgel.env.duke.edu
em: corrie.curtice at duke.edu