[R-sig-Geo] border

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Feb 15 18:05:49 CET 2010

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Adam A wrote:

> Good day!
> I would like to connect 2,3 or 4 administrative units so as not to have
> a common border.

Please see the unionSpatialPolygons() function in maptools.

Note that you (still) need to use the gpclib package to dissolve borders,
which has a rather non-free licence. If this is a problem, ask again, and
I'll direct you to the beta rgeos package and forthcoming changes in
maptools, which will prefer rgeos over gpclib if rgeos is installed.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS. an informative signature would avoid doubt about licences, because if
you are in academia, the gpclib licence would possibly be OK (educational
purposes, hobby, etc.), but if you work in real estate or telecoms, it
certainly isn't, even just for using gpclib, I'm afraid. This is one of
the reasons why informative affiliations or signatures help us give
appropriate advice.

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no