[R-sig-Geo] R crash with readOGR

caspar hallmann caspar.hallmann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:40:32 CET 2010

Hi Roger,

Thank you for your very quick response.
This surely helps...

Perhaps however I should have emphasized: "without" any warning, the
thing being that I 'suspected' this is a memory issue.
What happened is that after submitting the code to R, and after
waiting a few minutes, R just shuts down. No warnings, no errors,
nothing.
And this keeps coming up after clearing memory (other data) or
restarting R altogether.

What I want to do is retrieve a range of shapefiles, possibly
differing in their CRS's, homogenizing the reference system,
overlaying and finally creating a 'covariate' dataset for further
geostatistical analysis. Since this will eventually be called in a
batch mode for many spatial response variables, with each response
having differing set of covariates (and thus layers and projections),
I need to get this streamlined.

Anyway, the function 'OGRSpatialRef' worked fine, and in conjunction
with read.dbf from library 'foreign'  (to get the data) I'm pretty
much sorted. So thanks again!

all the best,

Caspar