[R-sig-Geo] Problem to Read maptools Help

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 10 20:23:58 CET 2010

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, gianni lavaredo wrote:

> Dear researchers
> I download the new version of R 2.10.1 and I have a problem to read maptools
> Help as the older version
>
> thanks for attention
> Gianni
>
>> library(maptools)
> Carico il pacchetto richiesto: foreign
> Carico il pacchetto richiesto: sp
> Carico il pacchetto richiesto: lattice
>> ?maptools
> No documentation for 'maptools' in specified packages and libraries:
> you could try '??maptools'

The function is removed from the namespace and its help page is removed
to:

file.show(system.file("old_man/maptools.Rd", package="maptools"))

To use the function, do:

maptools:::maptools()

if you must, but you can more easily use:

packageDescription("maptools")

to find out what the package version is. It has been made redundant by
packages now using Changelogs, so:

file.show(system.file("ChangeLog", package="maptools"))

automatically shows which changes have been made and when.

Hope this helps,

Roger