[R-sig-Geo] Vector to raster "zone" conversion...

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 4 03:38:38 CET 2010

Rsiggeo'ers:

    Given a vector file containing polygons and a raster file of the
same projection, I would like to create raster "zones" based on the
polygons -- e.g. I would like to rasterize the vector polygon at the
resolution of the raster.  I'm not seeing any obvious way to do this --
any ideas?  In the end, I want a set of x,y coordinates of all pixels
which fall within a given polygon -- ideally I'd like donuts to be
properly rasterized, and some level of control on how much of a pixel
must fall within a polygon to "count".  I'm trying to port my program
"starspan" over to R to provide a much needed training/test data import
capability to complement rgdal and raster's capabilities.

    Thanks!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD