[R-sig-Geo] How to diplasy a compass rose on a map

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Wed Feb 3 21:52:57 CET 2010

Package StatDA has an option to generate a nort arrow (I am sure you
could easily replace this with any symbol you prefer):

 > Northarrow(Xbottom, Ybottom, Xtop, Ytop, Xtext, Ytext, Alength,
Aangle, Alwd, Tcex)

Here are some examples of publication ready maps:

http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/StatDA/R-scripts/page131.html

These plots are something that a cartographer would like to see in R,
but the code is long! And of course you need to (manually) get all
coordinates and dimensions of legend, scale bar and arrow for your study
area  :(

T. Hengl
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/t.hengl/