[R-sig-Geo] generate simulation data for a theoretical spatial model

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Wed Feb 3 12:55:30 CET 2010

It is dificult if not irrealistic to set Y to be 0/1 (ou interger counts
or similar) in such model since this would impose severe contraints in the
a's and x's as well as in the model structure.

This is why the hierarquical model structure is one possible
working around. The ideia is the same as in generalised linear models
relating the covariates (x's) and spatial effect to as function of the
expected value of Y instead of directly with Y.
In a "loose" notation:
Y_i ~ "some distribution" with E[Y_i] = \mu_i
g(\mu_i) = a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect

where g() is a "convenient" function mapping (-Inf, +Inf)
to the parameter space of \mu_i

Some examples:

1. For binay (0/1) observations a possible model would be
Y_i ~ B(p_i)
log(p_i/(1-p_i) = a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect

2. For count data:
Y_i ~ B(\lambda_i)
log(\lambda_i) = a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect

3. For Gaussian data
Y_i ~ N(\mu_i, \tau^2)
\mu_i = a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect
which in this particular case can be written as
Y_i = a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratorio de Estatistica e Geoinformacao)
Universidade Federal do Parana
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil
Tel: (+55) 41 3361 3573
Fax: (+55) 41 3361 3141
e-mail: paulojus AT  ufpr  br
http://www.leg.ufpr.br/~paulojus

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, rusers.sh wrote:

>  It works. The problem is that it only generates the simulated data based
> on our observed dataset,e.g. "meuse" here.
>  I wonder if we can generate the simulated dataset from the user-specified
> model with covariates included, such as y~a1*x1+a2*x2+spatial effect. Y can
> be continuous or 0/1 variables. Something like this.
>  The idea is we first specify a theoretical model, and then generate the
> simulated data based on this model. The coefficients and spatial effects are
> fixed by users, so we may study some new methods.
>  Thanks.
>
> 2010/2/2 Edzer Pebesma <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de>
>

>> rusers.sh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tomislav,
>>>  Thanks for your info on unconditional simulation. For conditional
>>> simulations, i still cannot find any useful information.
>>>  I searched the R site and didnot find the possible method to do
>>> conditional simulations.
>>> 1. CondSimu(RandomField): trend: Not programmed yet. (used by universal
>>> kriging)
>>> 2. grf(geoR): generates unconditional simulations of Gaussian random
>>> fields