[R-sig-Geo] help with areal interpolation I think

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Feb 3 12:06:05 CET 2010

musche1 at comcast.net wrote:
> Being new to spatial analysis I don't have the right vocabulary. I have purchased the book applied spatial data analysis in r, but not received yet.
>
> I have a set of irregularly spaced points (utmx,utmy) where animals were sampled. So for each point I have a location and a species count. There is a spatial pattern in the data (for richness) - it is not just random. I have used a gam from mgcv to model the data. I would like to overlay a shapefile of polygons (watersheds) over the point data and in the end estimate the expected number of species in a watershed. For example if a watershed overlayed two bands of species richness one for a richness of 5 and one for a richness of 6 and each were equally represented in the watershed the expected number for a point in the watershed would be 5.5. Can someone point me in the right direction or provide terminology and/or packages that may do this. thank you.
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Hi,

What comes to my mind are the following papers:

@ARTICLE{Royle2005,
  author = {Royle, J.A. and Wikle, C.K.},
  title = {Efficient statistical mapping of avian count data},
  journal = {Environ. Ecol. Stat.},
  year = {2005},
  volume = {12},
  pages = {225--243},
  number = {2}
}
doi: 10.1007/s10651-005-1043-4

@ARTICLE{Pebesma2005b,
  author = {Pebesma, E.J. and Duin, R.N.M. and Burrough, P.A.},
  title = {Mapping sea bird densities over the North Sea: Spatially
aggregated
    estimates and temporal changes},
  journal = {Environmetrics},
  year = {2005},
  volume = {16},
  pages = {573--587},
  number = {6},
  timestamp = {2010.02.03},
  url =
{http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-24944447904&partnerID=40&md5=88b8634524719043b9fad1bb71f2c9ca}
}

You could take a look at the papers and see what you can use.

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra