[R-sig-Geo] [R] Drawing Maps of detailed Australian regions

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Wed Dec 29 11:15:53 CET 2010

Hi folks,
I'm finishing off this thread in case anyone finds themselves with the
same problem. I'm pretty sure that the solution I have found will be
specific to Fedora 12 and KDE.

I had a series of unsuccessful attempts to install the GDAL libraries in
order to get the "rgdal" package to attach in R. If you haven't already
read through the previous emails, the painful details are there. In the
end, I wiped all the GDAL stuff from the system and started again.

I tried using KPackage (the KDE package manager), having previously used
"yum" to install the GDAL libraries.

1) I searched for "gdal".

2) I selected:
	gdal - GIS file format library
	gdal-devel - Development libraries for the GDAL file format library
	gdal-static - Static Development libraries for the GDAL file format library
	pfstools-gdal - PFS tools using the GDAL library to handle GIS information

3) I let KPackage do its stuff.

4) library(rgdal)
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.6.1, released 2009/05/11
Path to GDAL shared files: /usr/share/gdal
Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.6.1, 21 August 2008
Path to PROJ.4 shared files: (autodetected)

!!!!

Note that I may have installed more packages than I had to, but at least
it is running. Thanks to all who responded to my requests. Now to find a
tutorial to work out how to use the thing.

Jim