[R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 88, Issue 23

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Dec 23 15:33:17 CET 2010

2010/12/23 Ralf Schäfer <senator at ecotoxicology.de>:

> BTW: "Linux Techies"  should have no major probs with Mac, given that the
> Mac system commands are more or less the same as for Linux systems

 Yes, but try asking an average Mac user how to get a command line.
Here's the dialog:

Can I get a command line?

A what?

A terminal emulator.

A what?

A thing where you type stuff.

Like Word?

No, a command line interpreter.

A what?

A shell.

A what?

Like a DOS command box.

A what?

Is it called 'MacTerm'?

Dunno.

Or "Terminal"?

*shrug*

Eventually you trawl through a dozen wobbly-iconned shine-fests, into
the dusty, unexplored regions of the Mac UI until you do actually find
it. Of course even then files are in different places, the terminology
is different (what is a 'Framework'? what is 'Xcode'? Do I really have
to sign up and pay to get a C compiler?).

Barry