[R-sig-Geo] Multiple legends in spplot

Lee Hachadoorian Lee.Hachadoorian+L at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 16:20:29 CET 2010

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:01:50 +0100, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> Lee,
>
> looking at sp:::SpatialPolygons2Grob, you can exactly see what this
> function wants and does with it. As a (second) legend involves not only
> polygons, but also points, symbols, and text, it will not do the job.

Edzer,

Thank you, working on implementing this right now.

I was unsure of what was going on with the call to SpatialPolygons2Grob()
as mapLegendGrob(obj, ...) supposedly takes any object of class extending
Spatial-class. I didn't even think to check the class of
layout.north.arrow(), used in the example I was working from. I just
checked and found that it works because layout.north.arrow() is of class
SpatialPolygons!

Thanks again for your generous assistance.

--Lee

Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center