[R-sig-Geo] Fail to load a vector layer using spgrass6

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 02:23:15 CET 2010

Dear list,

I'm using R from GRASS using the great spgrass6 connector. For some
reason, I can't manage to load a GRASS vector layer into my R session.
I'm just beginning with GRASS, and I really have no clue here...
I hope this is a good place to ask (being on the borderline I hesitaed
to ask the question to the GRASS-user mailing list).

First here's the rror message in the R session:
> ph <- readVECT6('ph_cl', type='area')
Error in ogrInfo(dsn = dsn, layer = layer, input_field_name_encoding =
input_field_name_encoding) :
  Cannot open layer

I tried to play with the different options but I did not succeed>
Here's more info about my data and platform:

Here is the output of v.info for the data I want to load:
GRASS 7.0.svn (NZTM2000):~ > v.info ph_cl
 | Name:            ph_cl                                                     |
 | Mapset:          nitrif_inhib                                              |
 | Location:        NZTM2000                                                  |
 | Database:        /home/roudierp/Documents/GRASSDATA                        |
 | Title:                                                                     |
 | Map scale:       1:1                                                       |
 | Map format:      native                                                    |
 | Name of creator: roudierp                                                  |
 | Source date:     Mon Dec 13 11:30:11 2010                                  |
 |   Type of map: vector (level: 2)                                           |
 |   Number of points:       0               Number of centroids:  236847     |
 |   Number of lines:        0               Number of boundaries: 892041     |
 |   Number of areas:        355021          Number of islands:    79124      |
 |   Map is 3D:              No                                               |
 |   Number of dblinks:      1                                                |
 |   Projection: Transverse Mercator                                          |
 |               N:  6190887.80270169    S:  4823266.04395524                 |
 |               E:  2091804.65744429    W:   1170289.3071784                 |
 |   Digitization threshold: 0                                                |
 |   Comment:                                                                 |

And finally some metadata about the software packages I used:

here's the sessionInfo():

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.0 (2010-10-15)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] spgrass6_0.6-21 XML_3.2-0       rgdal_0.6-31    sp_0.9-74

[1] grid_2.12.0     lattice_0.19-13

> library(spgrass6)
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.7.1, released 2010/02/08
Path to GDAL shared files: /usr/share/gdal
Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009
Path to PROJ.4 shared files: /usr/share/proj/
GRASS GIS interface loaded with GRASS version: 7.0.svn
and location: NZTM2000

I got the last CRAN version of sp.

This runs on a linux machine:
GRASS 7.0.svn (NZTM2000):~ > uname -a
Linux A208_RoudierP 2.6.34.7-0.5-xen #1 SMP 2010-10-25 08:40:12 +0200
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cheers,

Pierre