[R-sig-Geo] Suggestion: option overwrite=T for writeOGR()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 10 13:34:01 CET 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Could an option overwrite=T (default overwrite=F) be included in writeOGR()?
>> Thanks!
> Submit a Feature Request here:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=84716&atid=573625

No, rgdal is on R-Forge, and a list called rgdal-devel will be available
from tomorrow.

> It looks like it just needs to be a wrapper around OGR's delete layer
> function.

Contributions welcome. Note that the facility is present for rasters,
which I fould out by accidentally deleting GRASS database objects (for
which of course I did not have backups). Is this really needed - which
drivers do not already overwrite without complaint? These do not complain
for me: driver="ESRI Shapefile"; driver="KML"; driver="MapInfo File";
driver="MapInfo File", dataset_options="FORMAT=MIF".

Hope this helps,