[R-sig-Geo] suggestion for spgrass6 - temp file in readVECT6

Pierre Roudier pierre.roudier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:02:30 CET 2010

Dear all,

I got a suggestion for spgrass6. As far as I understand it, a
temporary ESRI shapefile is written on the disk when using
readVECT6('foo'), I guess then R is using rgdal to read that shapefile
back in memory. Considering the various limitations of the ESRI
shapefile format that does not occur with the GRASS internal format,
could it be possible to add an option to choose the OGR format used in
that process?

Also got a question for Roger I guess: I'm using now the grass7 svn
trunk, should I expect any problems using the spgrass6 interface (I
mean problems due to structural differences that appears in grass7
that would not be handled by spgrass6, not problems due to grass7
itself).

Thanks,

Pierre