[R-sig-Geo] spacetime package; Workshop on handling and analyzing spatio-temporal data in R, 21-22 Mar 2011

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Dec 8 16:19:10 CET 2010

As we earlier announced here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-geo@stat.math.ethz.ch/msg08473.html

we're organizing a two-day workshop on handling spatio-temporal data in
R. We're targeting a small(ish) group, to avoid loosing all the time on
presentation, and to have some time for doing things. The deadline for
application is Dec 15. In case the workshop is not full by then, we will
accept further applications on a case-by-case basis.

The workshop will be free of charge; my institute will offer lunch and
coffee, participants need to pay travel, hotel, and evening diners.

I was asked to give an invited lecture about the topic during the
geoinfo 2010 conference (mostly geoinformaticians, relatively few
statisticians) last week, and have put up the slides here:

http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/~epebe_01/inpe.pdf

While at INPE I spoke quite extensively with the TerraLib team; in the
next TerraLib release, integrating spatio-temporal data across all kind
of different data types is high on their agenda. To avoid duplicating
existing analysis tools, they want to integrate with R from the start.
We hope that some researchers from the team will attend the workshop.

Some of the prototypical work I did to try things out is found in the
spacetime package on cran; see

http://cran.r-project.org/package=spacetime

If you want to take a look, please do look at the vignette; everything I
tried is in the vignette, there are no examples in the documentation.
While developing package sp five years ago, we restarted from scratch
about three times before things worked the way we liked. Package
spacetime is currently more meant as a start for a discussion than
anything else. I would welcome any reactions on this list.

With best regards,

Katharina
Daniel
Edzer