[R-sig-Geo] Parallelized kriging in R (gstat/intamap)

Jon Olav Skoien jon.skoien at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Dec 6 11:31:14 CET 2010

Pierre,

There are different ways to call the kriging routines in intamap. The
simplest is to call interpolate with the necessary data. To see the
effect of parallelization, you can look at the example below. This uses
the zinc observations of the Meuse data set, interpolates to 100000
points on a grid using automap (which uses gstat for fitting and
interpolation). The speed up effect from parallelization depends on the
problem, my computer spends half the time using 4 clusters instead of 1
on the example below.

loadMeuse()
meusegrid = spsample(meuse, 100000, "regular")
system.time(x <- interpolate(meuse, meusegrid, list(mean=TRUE,
variance=TRUE),
     optList = list(formulaString = zinc~1, nclus = 1), methodName =
"automap"))

system.time(x <- interpolate(meuse, meusegrid, list(mean=TRUE,
variance=TRUE),
     optList = list(formulaString = zinc~1, nclus = 4), methodName =
"automap"))

If you have more specific questions about the use, I will try to answer
them.

Cheers,
Jon