[R-sig-Geo] temporal interpolation with stackApply

Michael Loranty mloranty at whrc.org
Wed Dec 1 22:44:56 CET 2010

Hi All,

I have a raster stack, that represents a time series of temperature
observations, and would like to interpolate temporally to fill gaps in
the data. That is, to apply a gap-filling function across all layers
in a stack, pixel by pixel. My hope was to accomplish this using
stackApply, however this doesn't seem to work. The reason seems to be
associated with how the data are handled within stackApply which is
based upon the type of function that is used.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or come up with a
solution? It seems to me that it may not be too difficult to make a a
function to do this based upon few minor adjustments to the current
raster function. A simple example is below.

Best,
Mike

 > r <- raster(ncol=10, nrow=10)
 > r[]=1:ncell(r)
 > s <- brick(r,flip(r,direction = "x"),flip(r,direction =
"y"),r,flip(r,direction = "y"),flip(r,direction = "x"))

 > set.NA <- function(x, na.rm = T){x[x==18] <- NA; return(x)}
 >
 > s <- stackApply(s,fun = set.NA, indices = 1:nlayers(s))
 >
 > fill.NA <- function(x,na.rm = F){
+ 			fill <- approxfun(x, y = NULL, method = 'linear', rule = 2);
+ 			new <- fill(1:length(x));
+ 			rec <- which(is.na(x));
+ 			x[rec] <- new[rec];
+ 			return(x)
+ 			}

 > s < - stackApply(s,fun=fill.NA,indices = 1:nlayers(s))
Error in approxfun(x, y = NULL, method = "linear", rule = 2) :
   need at least two non-NA values to interpolate

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

other attached packages:
[1] rgdal_0.6-27  raster_1.6-22 sp_0.9-72

Michael Loranty Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
The Woods Hole Research Center
149 Woods Hole Rd