[R-sig-Geo] Plotting SpatialPolygonsDataFrame using ggplot2

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Apr 27 11:17:28 CEST 2010

Hi people,

I have a question regarding plotting a SpatialPolygonsDataFrame using
ggplot2. To convert the SPDF to a dataframe with the coordinates I
already use the excellent solution provided by Hadley in:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e6/help/09/03/8668.html

Some example code:

library(maptools)
library(ggplot2)
x <- readShapePoly(system.file("shapes/sids.shp", package="maptools")[1],
      IDvar="FIPSNO", proj4string=CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66"))
dum = fortify(x, region = "CNTY_ID")
ggplot(dum, aes(x = long, y = lat)) + geom_path()

My problem is that not only the counties are drawn, but also lines
between the end point of one countie polygon and the beginning of the
next. I solve this right now by adding the counties I want to plot one
by one using:

p + geom_path(subset(dum, id == 1) + geom_path(subset(dum, id == 2) +
... etc

This is of course a solution, but not an elegant one. Creating a new
ggplot object like:

unique_ids = unique(dum$id)
bla = ggplot(subset(dum, id == unique_ids[1]), aes(x =long, y = lat)) +
geom_path()
for(id in unique_ids[2:length(unique_ids)]) {
       bla = bla + layer(data = subset(dum, id == id), mapping = aes(x
=long, y = lat), geom = "path")
    }
print(bla)

Has exactly the same problem as using ggplot(dum, aes(x = long, y =
lat)) + geom_path(). I browsed the net and the maling list and could not
find the answer, only references to the fortify() solution of Hadley.

Anybody have an idea for an elegant solution to the problem?

cheers,
Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra