[R-sig-Geo] Correspondence between gstat and ArcGIS functionality?

Thomas Juntunen tmj at visi.com
Thu Apr 15 17:31:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:47:01 -0400, Prof. Jeffrey Cardille wrote:

> For anyone
> interested, I am trying to repair Landsat satellite photos, which have big
> broken strips of nodata due to a mechanical failure.  The strips are up to 14
> pixels wide.  I need to do this 2000x2000 interpolation about 2000 times-- so
> speed differences of even a few seconds or minutes are quite important..

Hello,

I'm a graduate student at the University of Minnesota in the GIS program. For
the past couple years I have been assisting a conservation biology doctoral
student with GIS aspects of her dissertation, which involved acquiring Landsat
data. I presume you are talking about the scan line corrector problem that
developed in 2003 on Landsat 7 in the extended thematic mapper?

USGS engineers at EROS have tried several approaches to correcting the gaps,
primarily by interpolation and filling in from other scenes from the same
season. I don't have a reference handy, but I did read something that found
that method had an unreasonable amount of cloud cover interference. However,
the EROS folks eventually published a paper describing how their "multi-scale
segmentation" technique worked that was then used for EROS terrain-corrected
products. If you haven't read it, the paper has lots of valuable information on
the exact nature of the problem. Here's a link to the citation from the ACM
portal:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1393487

For my purposes, the EROS corrected data were sufficient, but some applications
such as permeability studies may require pixel-level precision.

Good luck with your endeavor and if you find a solution, I hope you'll post
about it here.

Thomas Juntunen
MGIS Program, University of Minnesota