[R-sig-Geo] OSX and rgdal (32 bit Intel)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Apr 9 21:19:15 CEST 2010

A brief "heads up" for people using 32 bit R on OSX with an Intel
processor:

Prof. Brian Ripley has built binary rgdal packages for R 2.10 and the
shortly forthcoming 2.11, and published them on his CRAN extras
repository. Feedback to me would be welcome on his installation
instructions:

> setRepositories(ind=1:2)
> install.packages('rgdal')

where the first command includes both regular CRAN (for the sp dependency)
and his CRAN extras repository. The OGR and GDAL drivers are as in the
CRAN Windows 32-bit binary.

I am very grateful to him for his help with this, and I'm sure that
feedback would be appreciated (to me, I'll summarise and pass it on to
him). When we hear back from OSX users, I'll modify other OSX installation
instructions to include this route as the main one, and the Kyngchaos
frameworks as a more advanced alternative offering additional drivers.

I would particularly value feedback from GRASS users. I realise that
because spgrass6 depends on rgdal, there is no OSX binary package on CRAN,
but if there is enough interest, we may be able to find a resolution to
that too. I realise that OSX GRASS users already probably have the
Kyngchaos frameworks installed (because GRASS needs them), so it may well
be that installing both rgdal and spgrass6 as source packages is the most
practical solution. So feedback would be very helpful!

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no