[R-sig-Geo] can I use GWR with zero-inflated data?

Danlin Yu yud at mail.montclair.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:02:28 CEST 2010

Alper:

Without knowing exactly what type of data that might be, I would say the
data probably are not the best set for GWR analysis (not even for OLS, I
might add) due to the lack of variation of your dependent variable. In
addition, nominal (coded, I assume?) independent variable can cause no
variation at all in locally weighted calibration.

Is there a compelling reason that you believe GWR is a reasonable choice
for your data analysis?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Danlin

Alper ALTINOK ??:

> Dear all,
>
> I want to hear your opinions on applicability of GWR method on the following kind of data;
>
> Dependent:
> -Numeric > continuous. With excess zeroes (about %70).
>
> Independent(s):
> -Numeric > nominal
> -Character > nominal
> -Numeric > ordinal
>

> Alp

Danlin Yu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of GIS and Urban Geography
Department of Earth & Environmental Studies
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ, 07043
Tel: 973-655-4313
Fax: 973-655-4072