[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgdal on 64 bit fedora

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 23 17:18:00 CEST 2009

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Laura Poggio wrote:

> If you use:
> # yum search proj
> You should find proj, proj-devel, proj-epsg and proj-nad.
> At least it is what yum just found from my computer now.
> I had some problems earlier today to access fedora repository. What if you
> change repository?

Yes, there may be transient problems. From my RHEL box I don't see it now
with yum search, but from F11, I do, but only for i586 (which is right for
the machine).

For some murky reason, the packagers left the shared metadata out of
regular proj, and have it in proj-nad and proj-epsg. I got round this
earlier by shipping rgdal with the shared metadata files, but they could
be staler than those otherwise on the user's platform, so at user request
(for OSX among others), dropped the bundled files. I can see:

http://fr2.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/11/x86_64/proj-epsg-4.6.1-2.fc11.x86_64.html

but since I build from source, can't vouch for it.

Roger