[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgdal on 64 bit fedora

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:49:57 CEST 2009

I am getting this message when I try to install rgdal in R:

Error: proj/epsg not found
Either install missing proj support files, for example
the proj-nad and proj-epsg RPMs on systems using RPMs,
or if installed but not autodetected, set PROJ_LIB to the
correct path.
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'

I had previously installed gdal and proj.4 and proj-had using yum
(and I also tried from source).  From the shell these all seem to
work in that they return something rather than a message that
they are missing:

proj
man proj
gdal-config

However, when I issue the R command

   install.packages("rgdal", dep = TRUE)

I get a message back (below) that refers to proj-epsg as missing but
I see no such distribution:

$ yum search proj-epsg
No Matches found

What is proj-epsg, where is it and how do I get around this?