[R-sig-Geo] predict.spautolm

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 21 11:20:23 CEST 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Bjarke Christensen wrote:

> I am looking for a function to make out of sample predictions using
> spautolm. The question has been asked before, two years ago, but with no
> response: http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/113162.html.
> Certainly, someone must have needed one since?

Clearly not. Predict using just the regression coefficients (with
non-spatial weights if used for fitting). If you want simulations around
those point estimates, you can introduce spatial autocorrelation with the
lambda term, but lambda will not impact the predictions unless the model
was misspecified, I believe.

> Alternatively, does anyone have a reference or any hints wrt making such a
> function? Is there perhaps some reason not to do it?

It could be done, but isn't a high priority - unless you are using
non-spatial weights, the speculative predict() method for sarlm objects
from errorsarlm() will manage OK.

Hope this helps,

Roger