[R-sig-Geo] DEMs

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Mon Sep 14 08:58:53 CEST 2009

Hi Abe,

Did you try using the ETOPO1? This (0.1 degree) DEM can be well loaded to R:

> URL <- "http://spatial-analyst.net/worldmaps/"
# list of maps:
> map.list <- c("globedem", "chlo08", "dcoast")
# download the zipped maps one by one:
> for(i in 1:length(map.list)) {
>  download.file(paste(URL, map.list[i], ".zip", sep=""),
+   destfile=paste(getwd(), "/", map.list[i], ".zip", sep=""))
>  unzip(zipfile=paste(map.list[i], ".zip", sep=""), exdir=getwd())
>  unlink(paste(map.list[i], ".zip", sep=""))
> }
# read maps to R:
> worldmaps <- readGDAL(paste(map.list[i], ".asc", sep=""))
# fix the layer name:
> names(worldmaps)[1] <- map.list[1]
> for(i in map.list[-1]) {
> worldmaps at data[map.list[i]] <- readGDAL(paste(map.list[i], ".asc",
sep=""))$band1
> }
> proj4string(meuse.grid) <- CRS("+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84")

I do not think that it will be easy to generate kriging with any global
dataset that is <5 km resolution. You could try using the kriging in SAGA
(it can handle maps up to 2 GB in size; it is exp(2) times faster than R).
Here is an example:

http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Interpolation_of_ISRIC-WISE_international_soil_profile_data

T. Hengl

PS: Which variable are you interpolating?