[R-sig-Geo] decimate points from a Lidar file

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 9 18:21:34 CEST 2009

Michael:

    Typically Lidar files come "tiled", e.g. you get a set of point
clouds pre-subsetted to, say, 1km x 1km window.  These subsetted data
are usually a LOT easier to write some batch scripts to deal with than
trying to analyze the entire database at once.  Have you seen if the
source of the Lidar data has a tiled set (most companies will provide
the data this way)?  This will expand the number of things you can do
with the data...

--j

Michael Denslow wrote:
> Dylan, Ken & Roger,
>
> Thank you for the suggestions and advice. This gives me a great place to start.
>
> Michael
>

> These are all
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Roger Bivand<Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would recommend the r.in.xyz command within GRASS GIS. It can be used
>>> for
>>> operations very similar to what you are looking for. The resulting file is
>>> raster, decimated to some set resolution. Some screen shots:
>>>
>>> http://hamish.bowman.googlepages.com/grassfiles#xyz
>>>
>> Right, it is not possible to read 350 M points into R and do anything with
>> them. I would actually suggest using a database as a store directly,
>> possibly with some spatial support, but not necessarily. If the data were,
>> say, in a database, subsets could be read in by selecting, or sample
>> inclusion fields could be added to a table for samples, giving the FID
>> values to be chosen. I feel that this would give the flexibility needed.
>> Both SQLite and PostgreSQL are supported by OGR, so may also be accessed
>> from rgdal functions if the appropriate drivers are present, but dumping to
>> CSV files for smaller samples ought to be OK. If you are on Windows, see
>> OSGeo4W or FWTools for ideas. The advantage of a database over a flat text
>> file is that selection is much easier.
>>
>> You could also look at the SQLiteMap package, which uses an alternative set
>> of spatial extensions for SQLite. Import the data outside R, then select
>> from inside (untried).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Dylan
>>>

>> --
>> Roger Bivand
>> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
>> Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen,
>> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
>> e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
The Barn, Room 250N
Davis, CA 95616