[R-sig-Geo] spgrass and GRASS 6.4 ORC5

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 3 18:23:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Alexandre VILLERS wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Has anyone tried the spgrass6 package with GRASS 6.4 ORC5 and windows XP ?
> When launching initGRASS, I got an error message related to UTF-8 format (but
> unfortunately, forgot to write it down). Since I did not have much time, I
> reinstalled GRASS 6.3 but I was wondering if it was a local problem or
> something with GRASS 6.4

I suspect that this will turn out to be a locale problem, possibly in the
path names, so platform specific. Using winGRASS 6.4.0 RC5 with R 2.9.2, I
cannot reproduce the problem in locale "Norwegian (Bokmål)_Norway.1252"
(and hoping that the aring gets through the mailer).

Seeing both your command verbatim, and any error messages, together with
sessionInfo() - which says which locale R can see, would help, but
generally make sure that all paths are only ASCII, preferably with no
embedded spaces for safety's sake.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no