[R-sig-Geo] Create ESRI personal geodatabase (.mdb) in R?

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Sat Oct 24 21:36:41 CEST 2009

Hi Edzer,

I've sent an email on this topic to the gdal-dev mailing list. I would
argue that the "standard" build of GDAL/OGR on Windows is what Frank W.
releases in FWTools, so I asked about whether the two drivers are
included in the current Windows FWTools build of the GDAL/OGR library.
My guess is that the active people on this thread are also on the
gdal-dev list, but I'll still provide a summary to what I here back to
this list.

Dan

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 11:28 +0200, Edzer Pebesma wrote:
> I tend to also favour those two -- postgis for the data base,
> spatialLite for the file-based exchange -- as the way forward. Do
> "standard" gdal/ogr installations on windows (whatever that means) come
> with support for sqlite and postgis, so that ogr2ogr takes you from one
> to another?
> --
> Edzer
>
> Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Dan Putler <dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Roger,
> >>
> >> A bit off-topic, but what do you think will be the real replacement for
> >> the shapefile as the de facto standard vector file format? SpatialLite?
> >>

> >  Some thoughts on that here:
> >
> > http://moreati.org.uk/blog/2009/03/01/shapefile-20-manifesto/
> > http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/blog/121/the-shapefile-manifesto/
> >
> > SpatialLite is very nice looking - I might start working with it as my
> > default file-based GIS data storage. For database storage I'm using
> > PostGIS.
> >
> > Barry

Dan Putler
Sauder School of Business