[R-sig-Geo] google insight map to shapefile

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:52:29 CEST 2009

Hi Carlos,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Carlos Hernandez
<carlos.uni2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,I'm using Google Insight data and I would like to "translate" the
> US map (with metro divisions) to a shape file.
>
> The maps i'm interested in appears in the following link (after clicking on
> "Metro" on the top right of the US map).
>
> http://www.google.com/insights/search/?hl=en-US#q=coldplay&geo=US&cmpt=q
>
> Do you have any advice on how to transform this map to a shape file? Is
> there a simple way to do this?

There may be a way to take the shapefile all at once but why not just
download the csv file (top of the page) and bind it to the existing
attribute table of a metro area file?

I would be interested to know how you end up doing it,
Michael

> Best regards,
> Carlos

Michael Denslow

Graduate Student & Adjunct Instructor
I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.
-- AND --
Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters