[R-sig-Geo] help using irregular polygons R with spatstat package

Raya A. Pruner rpruner at ufl.edu
Sat Oct 17 21:19:24 CEST 2009

I'm trying to test for conspecific attraction with snowy plovers,
in other words, aggregation in response to successful nest fates.
I have nest locations, fates, and polygons of potential nesting
habitat.  The polygons of potential habitat are from barrier
islands in Florida.  Most of the polygons are ~7km in length and
200-300m wide.  All data was read into R as shapefiles created
with ArcMap 9.2.

I have loaded the following libraries in R: sp, rgdal, spatstat,
and maptools.

I've used essentially the following code (substituting my actual
files):

boundary=readOGR(dsn="polygon.shp",layer= "polygon")
nests=readOGR(dsn="nest.location.shp", layer="nest.location")
boundary.owin=as(as(boundary,"SpatialPolygons"),"owin")
nests.points=as(nests,"SpatialPoints")
nests.ppp=as.ppp(nests.points,W=boundary.owin)

All script works fine except for the last line.  When I run this
one, I get the following error:

Error in as.ppp.SpatialPoints(nest.points, W = boundary.owin) :
  unused argument(s) (W = list(type = "polygonal", xrange =
c(252580.626188745,.........

Does anyone know what this error message means?  And suggestions
on what I can/should do????

Thanks!
Raya

--